Sunday, April 13, 2008

"Expelled" coming to a theater near you?


You may have heard of the new Ben Stein-narrated creationist film “Expelled.” Many first heard about it when noted biologist, atheist and blogger P.Z. Myers was blocked from seeing a screening of the film (which he is, by the way, prominently featured in) while his guests, including Richard Dawkins, were able to attend unmolested.

Well, the national release is this Friday. To see if it is playing near you, please check http://www.expelledthemovie.com/theaterap.php. Why in the name of reason would I promote this disingenuous filth, you may ask? Well, I’m not. I’m merely calling for as many Free-Thinkers, Atheists, Secular-Humanists, Brights--however you prefer to think of yourselves--to descend on these showings and use the creationist’s tactics against them. Stand outside the theater and argue for truth, debate the pious and fight the spread of misinformation the film will undoubtedly cause. Get some pamphlets made up that blow holes in the creationist’s arguments. Try to create some new Atheists if you’d really like, but I’ll be focusing on making sure that the misinformation is combatted, particularly amongst the people that are on the fence; that may not be all that informed on the subject from either side and may be swayed by such propaganda.

I am also hesitant to suggest that anyone purchase a ticket to the film, for fear that high grosses will open the door for the propaganda to spread. However, seeing the film will allow you to know what it is you’re fighting against, what specific claims you’ll need to argue against. I have no conflict here, given that I see all my movies for free. For those of you without such hook-ups, you’ll of course have to use your own discretion.

On a side note, I’d also like to apologize for my lack of posting the last couple of days. I have been writing an article entitled Taking Creationists from Dogma to Darwin that I hope to be published by American Atheist magazine. Not to fear, though, a new Bible Lesson will be up this evening and posts will be coming fast and furious from here on out. And if you like anything, please feel free to use the Digg button on any article. And don’t forget to tell your friends.

No comments: